LIONS CLUB SLIEMA ARTS FOUNDATION
The brainchild of Past President Lion Ian Lochhead, Lions Club Sliema Art Foundation was constituted on the 25th March 2005 by a public deed drawn up by Notary Dr Margaret Heywood.
Apart from being a non-profit making organisation the primary aim of the Foundation is to promote the study of the arts by persons requiring financial assistance and deemed appropriate recipients of assistance by the Foundation.
The overall responsibility of the Foundation and its activities are vested in a Committee of Management appointed by the Board of Directors of Lions Club Sliema. Past President Ian Lochhead chairs the present Committee and the members are:
Prof. D. Buhagiar, Dr Stella Borg Barthet, Mr George Apap and Past President Lion Joseph Caruana.
Presently the Foundation is in possession of about Lm20,000. This considerable amount was mainly sponsored through the goodwill of the Foundation’s Chairman Lion Ian, and various fund-raising activities mostly held at Ian’s residence at Xwieki. It is hoped that this year the Foundation shall start sponsoring youths to pursue their studies, after having received the anticipated amount.
The Club has an Arts Sub Committee responsible to administer the funds in consultation with the Board of Directors. The present Chairperson is Lion Victoria Muscat.
Peace Poster Contest – 2021/2022
THEME: LEAD WITH COMPASSION
Contest Rules & Regulations
- The theme for the artwork is “Lead with Compassion”
- Open to students who will be 11, 12 or 13 years on November 15, 2022 (ie eligible birth dates are November 16, 2008 – November 15, 2011).
- Artwork must not be smaller than 33cm x 50cm or larger than 50cm x 60cm. (so in the region of an A2 size). Do not mat or frame artwork.
- One entry per student and entry must be the work by one student- Artwork must be the student’s original creation, no duplications will be accepted.
- All media is accepted (chalk, charcoal and pastel artwork is to be sealed with a fixative spray to prevent smearing). Do not laminate entries.
- 3D entries are not accepted. Nothing should be glued, stapled or attached to the artwork in any way
- No lettering or numbering is to be placed on the front of the artwork. Artist’s signatures are to be written on the back of the artwork.
- Artwork should be done on a flexible material so it can be rolled for shipping in a mailing tube. Do not fold artwork. Due to Covid restrictions Artwork may even be done at home
- Artwork to be submitted by latest 15 November 2022
- 1st Prize winner: Agenda Bookshop Voucher Euro 75 & Euro 75 worth of Staedtler products.
- 2nd & 3rd Prize winners: Agenda Bookshop Voucher Euro 40 & Euro 40 worth of Staedtler products each.
- 9 merit awards: Agenda Bookshop Voucher Euro 15 & Euro 15 worth of Staedtler products each.
- At the International level, the winning poster has been sent with other posters from around the world, to the Lions International Head Quarters for the final judging.
- The International Grand prize winner receives a trip to the USA together with 2 family members, and a cash prize of US $5000.00, plus an award.
- There will also be 23 international merit award winners each receiving a cash prize of US$500.00 plus a certificate of achievement.
(Winners for the last year)